Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sunday School? No Problem

This past weekend Lucas had another first: his first time in Sunday School. He was excited about going, especially since he knew the other children that would be there (though cousin Sarah wasn't there due to illness). He was the youngest one in the class; not actually three just yet with a birthday coming up in the couple weeks. But his teachers reported that he did well. He wasn't at first interested in sitting with the class as they went through their lesson, but eventually he joined them. Several times throughout the class he commented that it was "time to go see Momma now," but he never became upset when told that she would be coming in a little while to pick him up. All in all it was a successful endeavor, and of course we relish the fact that he is beginning his formal education in the truth about our Savior Jesus and the salvation he provides. We pray that he will continue to gladly hear and learn the Word!


Just look at this smile of anticipation and joy before Momma dropped him off for class! You may notice that he's standing in front of his father's bookshelf (Lucas' Great-Grandpa Prange actually bought this bookshelf to hold his pastoral books). Now this bookshelf holds, among other things, several multi-colored volumes of Luther's Works (Lucas' Grandpa Prange actually bought these back in the day and gave them to me when he retired). It will interesting to see whether or not Lucas ever has any interest in having me hand any of these things down to him some day.


2 comments:

Marcel said...

I have a prediction, his father will read him some of those books and he will read the rest on his own. He will cherish those books the rest of his life.

Pastor Dave Ruddat said...

I'm torn as to the level of encouragement to give my sons to enter the ministry. My dad didn't discourage me from entering the ministry. He supported any vocation I dreamed about. Although I don't remember him actively encouraging either. I find myself encouraging my son more than I remember being encouraged, and my oldest is only 3.

I'm really excited about being a parent and supporting my church's ministry as a parent, not just because it's my "job."